When it comes to window glass repair, safety comes first. The most important thing to remember is that window glass repair should be left to Window Repair Orlando professionals, as they know what they are doing. They will be able to replace any damaged glass without creating an unsafe situation. If you decide to try to replace the glass yourself, follow these simple tips:
* Don’t take on small cracks. Small cracks can be filled in with silicone. However, a professional window glass repair company can treat large, more threatening cracks. If you attempt this process, be sure to use the right materials and ask as many questions as needed before repairing yourself. Also, be aware that minor cracks can be filled in with epoxy.
* Do not leave broken glass near a door or window. Broken glass near doors and windows pose a serious hazard, as they allow people to enter the home or apartment without knocking or banging on the glass. Be especially careful when supervising children, and check for any broken glass near their playpens or other toys. The risk of serious injury or even death can be avoided by treating broken glass promptly. When you are finished treating the area, apply some sealant to ensure that no further damage will occur.
* If you purchase new windows or are installing glass window replacements, be sure to get a guarantee. Most window glass repair companies offer a one-year warranty on their craft. Some companies offer longer warranties. If you get a window glass repair company with such an offer, it is important to check their references and find out if they have repaired similar problems in the past. Please find out how long they have been in business.
* The most common type of window glass repair is broken or chipped glass. Most glaziers make repairs using small nails that are hidden within the recesses of double-pane windows. Sometimes the nail heads are cut off so that the repair can be done more easily and precisely. The process is generally completed in just a few minutes.
* Specialized repair services are available for old, warped, or broken windows. These services will usually take longer but will often be more effective. They may also be less expensive. Old, warped, or broken window glass is difficult to replace, but many companies have specialized equipment to quickly repair the problem. These specialized repair services may be more expensive than doing it yourself, but they are much faster and easier. If you are concerned about replacing damaged or old windows, consider having these specialized services do the job.
* For huge jobs, such as replacing an entire window, many people turn to professional window glass repair services. These professionals will use a putty knife and some filler. They will first remove enough of the old window glass from the frame to allow the putty knife to scrape a thin layer of putty between the frame and window frame. Then the putty knife is used to create a frame cavity with the putty. Finally, the putty is blended into the frame area until the putty completely covers the frame cavity. This method allows the replacement window to be mounted flush with the frame.
* For extensive broken or warped window glass repairs, many companies will send out an estimator to estimate the cost of the total repair job. A professional window installer will inspect your windows and estimate the time it will take to replace the windows once the repair is complete. Some window companies also offer to repair your windows if they get your windows damaged during the winter months. In this case, they will wrap the windows in insulation layers, which helps keep your home warm and dry during the colder months.